Retail sales impact the lives of almost everyone on a daily basis. The general public moves in and out of retail settings all the time, from department stores to supermarkets, chain stores to strip malls, discount shops to online retailers. It’s a massive network, and managing any part of it presents unique challenges and opportunities.
About Salem’s Online Retail Management MBA Degree
Salem’s Master of Business Administration with a specialization in Retail Management was developed to help students prepare to step into leadership roles within the dynamic retail industry. Retail management is particularly exciting because there are so many different places you can take this career. You might use this MBA to start your own, independent storefront, whether that’s a physical location or online. Or you might open up a franchise location or manage big retail locations, like a major department store or grocery store. Earning your MBA degree can also ready you to pursue the next step of your education with a Doctor of Business Administration.
We’ve designed our master’s degree programs to be fully online, with a high-quality curriculum that aims to provide opportunities for professional growth and development; develop skills that allow you to conduct research and integrate theory and practice; and promote excellence in leadership, scholarship, work, and life. And we do all of this within a framework that fits into your current life and responsibilities with our unique, one-course-a-month schedule.
What Can I Do with an MBA in Retail Management?
An MBA with an emphasis in retail management can help expand your career opportunities to include advanced and senior-level positions, like:
- Retail Business Analyst
- Operations Supervisor or Manager
- Purchasing Agent/Buyer
- Customer Service Manager
- Food Service Manager
- Store Manager, District or Regional Manager
- General Manager
- Business Owner
What Will I Learn in Salem’s Master’s in Retail Management Program?
With Salem’s MBA in Retail Management, you’ll start with courses on the foundational principles of business management and marketing, including finances and accounting, leadership, ethics and integrity, and managerial concepts. All of this prepares you for your in-depth specialized studies in the key issues and factors that face today’s retail industry. You’ll learn how to look at all of these challenges from multiple angles, utilizing strong critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills. We use case studies as a basic framework to help you better understand and assess the responsibilities of being a retail manager. Everything you learn with our program is brought together in a capstone course that lets you demonstrate your ability to combine what you’ve learned with a practical, ethical, and global perspective.
Your courses will cover topics like:
- The role of advertising, branding, and publicity at the corporate and store level in generating business traffic and converting visitors into customers
- Ethical and environmental issues and the challenges of retailing in today’s competitive climate
- How to create and sustain a repeat customer with brand loyalty and the 7Ps of the marketing mix
- Integrating and managing supply chains in terms of outsourcing and insourcing
- Understanding retail capital expenditures and how they can be improved and managed
What Retail Management MBA Classes Will I Take?
The Master of Business Administration degree program with a specialization in Retail Management requires the completion of 21 core semester credits that include:
- ACC515 Accounting for Managers
- BUS500 Applied Business Statistics
- BUS699 Enterprise Strategic Planning and Change Management
- ECO570 Managerial Economics
- FIN560 Financial Management
- MKT530 Marketing Management
- BUS600 Organizational Behavior, Leadership, and Ethics
You’ll also take 9 credits in the retail management specialization:
- RTM600 Principles of Retail Management
- RTM601 Retail Operations and Purchasing
- MKT600 Retail Sales Promotion
How Long Will It Take to Get My Retail Management?
On average, a full-time student can earn their MBA degree with a specialization in Retail Management in less than 12 months. However, we recognize every student is different, with different circumstances. It’d be best to contact one of our admissions advisors to discuss your specific questions and goals.
Why Should I Choose Salem University?
Since 1888, Salem University has built upon our tradition of accessible, affordable higher education by constantly innovating and looking to the future. We aim to develop lifelong learners who embrace problem-solving with a global perspective. We offer:
- Accelerated undergraduate and graduate programs of study with continuous enrollment via distance education or on-campus
- A unique one-course-a-month format that allows students to focus on a single subject at time and build their knowledge in a way that feels natural
- Online courses are structured to work within the constraints of full-time employment, allowing you to earn your degree with minimum disruption to your busy schedule
- Supportive faculty and staff who serve as thought leaders and mentors
- A beautiful 100-acre campus situated in the Smoky Mountains where programs of study are available for campus residents and commuter students
Admission to Salem is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or ability/disability. Anyone wishing to attend Salem can obtain the necessary application from the Office of Admissions or apply online. The completed application should be submitted to the Office of Admissions at the earliest possible date. The University admits students on a rolling, monthly start basis. Acceptance is within the discretion of Salem University; some programs have additional admissions requirements.
ACCREDITED BY ACBSP
This course is accredited by ACBSP.
Take the Next Step
If you’re interested in getting started on your Master of Business Administration — Retail Management degree from Salem University, now is a great time to request more information or, better yet, chat with us live.