Salem University offers a number of programs available to international students. Continuously one of the most diverse campuses in the state of West Virginia and across the US, Salem international students enjoy the same benefits, access, and resources as domestic applicants.
Salem is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. In order to take classes on campus, a student must have a valid F-1 visa. Salem is required to have official documentation that certifies that the applicant has completed a bachelor’s degree or equivalent credential and is prepared to undertake college-level work in English. International applicants who are granted a non-immigrant visa to attend Salem must commit to an enrollment of at least two academic semesters (representing eight months of continuous enrollment) in order to be admitted and to be eligible for an international student scholarship. If an international student withdraws or transfers prior to the completion of the minimum two semesters, the tuition, fees, room and board charges are non-refundable.
Applicants must complete the following steps prior to enrollment:
- Submit Official Documentation of Prior Educational Attainment. Documents that demonstrate completion of educational credentials vary from country to country. For documents in English or Spanish, notarized copies of diplomas, certificates, transcripts, examination scores, and so forth, may be used to establish completion of prerequisite education and eligibility to enroll at Salem. For documents in other languages, the student must have the credentials evaluated by an agency recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, the cost of which will be borne by the student. A current list of evaluators is available at http://www.naces.org/members.html.
- Submit Proof of Financial Support. Verification must be provided to Salem University that the student has the necessary funds to cover the costs for one academic year of full-time study before Salem can issue a Form I-20. The amount of funding may vary depending upon the duration of stay. International students are required to submit an advance deposit of up to one semester’s room and board prior to enrollment. Students may enroll in classes for a full 12 months per year, which is three semesters. If a student plans to enroll for 12 months per year, they must be prepared to pay for tuition, room and board, course materials, personal expenses, and so forth, for the third semester.
- Submit Evidence of English Proficiency. This requirement can be satisfied by:
- a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) paper-based test (PBT) score of 500 or more,
- a TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT) score of at least 61,
- English3’s GATEWAY English Test score of B1+,
- an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 5.5 or better, or
- a minimum score of 95 on the Duolingo English Test.
- This requirement may be waived for students who have graduated from a secondary school where English is the language of instruction.
Salem supports international students after acceptance through the I20 process, as well as contacts to ensure academics, room and board, and other important aspects are completed prior to arrival on campus.