The business world can be incredibly competitive, and many accomplished executives and high-level professionals are looking for a way to distinguish themselves and what they can bring to the table for an organization. The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree program at Salem University builds off of the knowledge and curriculum of an MBA program to give you a deeper understanding of theory, research, current practices, and professional standards. Using a combination of analytical, practical, and research-based approaches to education, the students in our practice-oriented doctorate of business administration program discover how to objectively analyze quantitative or qualitative data, assess it without bias, and present findings to a wide range of stakeholders in relevant, understandable ways. We also encourage students to add to the current disciplinary body of knowledge through publications and presentations.
About the Doctor of Business Administration Program
Salem University’s Doctor of Business Administration online program is consistent with the guidelines set out by the Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ABCSP), with a curriculum that includes coverage of global issues; the influence of political, social, legal, environmental, and technological issues; the impact of demographic diversity on organizations; and the history and foundation of management theory and practice. All of these elements ensure that graduates are well-prepared to be effective leaders in the modern, technology-driven world.
How Is the Program Structured?
The Doctor of Business Administration degree program at Salem University is divided into three phases:
- Phase 1 includes core coursework and a formal introduction to dissertation research and writing (MGT805).
- Phase 2 continues the learning journey with additional coursework, identifying an original research topic, and developing a dissertation committee that will mentor and coach the DBA student through candidacy, defense, and ultimate graduation (MGT800). The DBA student will develop his or her dissertation proposal throughout the second Phase.
- Phase 3 includes the final core courses, passing the DBA comprehensive examination, and petitioning the Institutional Review Board for approval to conduct a study involving human subjects (MGT810).
The DBA Candidate will face two additional courses when the three semesters are successfully completed.
- MGT820 course – the researcher will conduct the actual research investigation, report on the results, and formally interpret the said results. I
- In the final course, MGT830, the future graduate will defend his or her dissertation to the Salem community and all interested parties, and he or she will complete the journey by providing completed copies to the Salem University Library.
Finally, students will participate in a DBA residency each year as they journey through their DBA degree program. The Salem University Doctor of Business Administration is grounded in the specialty area of organizational leadership.
DBA applicants can submit a portfolio for a prior learning assessment based on relevant professional experience totaling at least five years for up to nine credits total. This includes experience in leadership positions with the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Why Pursue a Doctor of Business Administration?
Like our MBA program, Salem University’s Doctor of Business Administration program is available fully online, combining our long history in higher education with the flexibility and ease of access to distance education. This means you can pursue your DBA degree wherever and whenever you need to without quitting your full-time job or uprooting your current life and responsibilities. We also deliver our online programs in a unique one-course-a-month format that allows students to measure their progress and focus on one section at a time, building their knowledge as they go.
What You’ll Take
With the Doctor of Business Administration degree program, you’ll take a number of core courses, like:
Semester One – 16 weeks total – 15 total credits
- MGT705 The Craft of Dissertation Research & Writing
- MGT725 Current Issues in Leadership
- MGT715 Management as a Behavior Science
- MGT712 Program and Project Evaluation
- MGT805 (concurrent) Introduction to Dissertation Research
Semester Two – 16 weeks total – 15 total credits
- MGT760 Ethics
- MGT790 Organizational Development & Change Management
- MGT710 Research Methods
- MGT777 Analytical Case Study Methods
- MGT800 (concurrent) Dissertation Proposal
Semester Three – 16 weeks total – 15 total credits
- MGT750 Economic and Financial Theory
- MGT755 Strategy and Business Policy
- MGT796 Leadership in Global and Multicultural Organizations
- MGT765 Legal & Regulatory Environment of Business
- MGT810 (concurrent) Dissertation Research 1
Dissertation Research, Analysis, Presentation, & Defense – custom timeframe – 6 total credits
- MGT820 – Dissertation Research 2
- MGT830 – Dissertation Research 3
Our online Doctor of Business Administration program prepares you for high-level executive positions, including:
- C-suite positions like CEO, CFO, COO and CIO
- Management or Marketing Consultant
- Professor or Academic Researcher
Why Should I Choose Salem University?
Since 1888, Salem University has built upon our tradition of accessible, affordable higher education by constantly innovating and looking to the future. We aim to develop lifelong learners who embrace problem-solving with a global perspective. We offer:
- Accelerated undergraduate and graduate programs of study with continuous enrollment via distance education or on-campus
- A unique one-course-a-month format that allows students to focus on a single subject at a time and build their knowledge in a way that feels natural
- Online courses are structured to work within the constraints of full-time employment, allowing you to earn your degree with minimum disruption to your busy schedule
- Supportive faculty and staff who serve as thought leaders and mentors
- A beautiful 100-acre campus situated in the Smoky Mountains where programs of study are available for campus residents and commuter students
Admission to Salem is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or ability/disability. Anyone wishing to attend Salem can obtain the necessary application from the Office of Admissions or apply online. The completed application should be submitted to the Office of Admissions at the earliest possible date. The University admits students on a rolling, monthly start basis. Acceptance is within the discretion of Salem University; some programs have additional admissions requirements.