Data drives everything, especially in the world of business these days. It tells companies and organizations who their audience base is, where and how their message is connecting with people, and what direction to take in future decisions. The immense power data has to make or break in commerce is one of the reasons why it’s a quickly growing field in the market, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicting jobs to expand at a much faster than average pace through 2028.
About Salem’s Online MSIT in Data Analytics Degree
At Salem University, you can leverage this high-growth area to your advantage with our Master of Science in Information Technology degree program with a specialization in Data Analytics, which teaches a holistic understanding of how technology and data impact organizations and individuals. Our mission is to prepare today’s IT professionals to be effective in a diverse, dynamic, globalized field by combining experiential and applied knowledge with innovative problem-solving and decision-making skills. This approach ensures that we are offering a challenging and robust MSIT program that can continue to meet the ever-changing needs of both you and the industry.
We’ve designed our master’s degree programs to be fully online, with a high-quality curriculum that aims to provide opportunities for professional growth and development; develop skills that allow you to conduct research and integrate theory and practice; and promote excellence in leadership, scholarship, work, and life. And we do all of this within a framework that fits into your current life and responsibilities with our unique, one-course-a-month schedule.
What Can I Do With a Master’s Degree in Data Analytics?
A master’s degree with an emphasis in data analytics can help expand your career opportunities to include advanced and senior-level IT positions, like:
- Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Director of Business Intelligence
- Data Architect
- Big Data Engineer
- Director of Data Science
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
- Chief Information Officer
What Will I Learn in Salem’s MSIT in Data Analytics?
In our online MSIT with a Data Analytics specialization, you combine foundational knowledge in assessing, managing, and developing information management systems with specialized coursework focused on the latest challenges and developments in the field of data analytics. This track allows you to focus your studies on the critical need for people who can align the housing, processing, and strategizing of big data with the vision, budget, and goals of an organization. Everything you learn throughout your coursework is brought together in a capstone project designed to allow you to demonstrate the skills and abilities you’ve gained during the program.
Your courses will cover topics like:
- Researching and harnessing information technology challenges and creating effective solutions
- Extracting, analyzing, and determining patterns and trends within data to inform actionable next steps
- Protecting data operations and management and improving safeguards for future challenges
- Using qualitative and quantitative techniques to develop strategies and make decisions that give your clients a competitive advantage
- Synthesizing approaches to database administration and data mining from diverse and sometimes disorganized sources
What Data Analytics Classes Will I Take in This MSIT Program?
The Master of Science in Information Technology degree program with a specialization in Data Analytics requires the completion of 21 core semester credits that include:
- IT500 Business Foundations and Processes
- IT510 Information Technology and Project Management
- IT520 Risk Assessment and Management
- IT530 Disaster Recovery and Continuity Planning
- IT550 Information Technology Architecture and Security
- IT640 Database Administration
- IT699 Enterprise Administration (Capstone Project)
You’ll also take 9 credits in the data analytics specialization:
- IT650 Business Intelligence, Data Analytics, and Decision Support Systems
- IT660 Big Data Analysis for Information Security
- IT670 Predictive Analytics
How Long Will It Take to Get My Master’s Degree in Data Analytics?
On average, a full-time student can earn their master’s degree with a specialization in data analytics in about approximately 12 months. However, we recognize every student is different, with different circumstances. It’d be best to contact one of our admissions advisors to discuss your specific questions and goals.
Why Should I Choose Salem University?
Since 1888, Salem University has built upon our tradition of accessible, affordable higher education by constantly innovating and looking to the future. We aim to develop lifelong learners who embrace problem-solving with a global perspective. We offer:
- Accelerated undergraduate and graduate programs of study with continuous enrollment via distance education or on-campus
- A unique one-course-a-month format that allows students to focus on a single subject at time and build their knowledge in a way that feels natural
- Online courses are structured to work within the constraints of full-time employment, allowing you to earn your degree with minimum disruption to your busy schedule
- Supportive faculty and staff who serve as thought leaders and mentors
- A beautiful 100-acre campus situated in the Smoky Mountains where programs of study are available for campus residents and commuter students
Admission to Salem is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or ability/disability. Anyone wishing to attend Salem can obtain the necessary application from the Office of Admissions or online here. The completed application should be submitted to the Office of Admissions at the earliest possible date. The University admits students on a rolling, monthly start basis. Acceptance is within the discretion of Salem University; some programs have additional admissions requirements.
Take the Next Step
If you’re interested in getting started on your Master of Science in Information Technology — Data Analytics degree from Salem University, now is a great time to request more information or, better yet, chat with us live.