About This Program
Prepare for a career that cares with Salem International University. Our Associate of Science in Nursing can teach you the clinical skills you need to become a registered nurse. Available at our Salem, West Virginia campus, the Associate of Science in Nursing is an accelerated, 22-month program in which you take one class a month.
Studying to become a Registered Nurse with SIU offers you:
- High-quality clinical instruction in a convenient, accelerated format;
- Instruction from clinically-experienced professors who want you to succeed;
- Intensive hands-on clinical experience in our Nursing Suite and Simulation Skills labs;
- Preparation for the NCLEX-RN licensure examination.
What You’ll Learn
Salem’s Associate of Science in Nursing program focuses on developing professional nurses with excellent reasoning and communication skills. As a graduate of this program, you should be able to provide excellent, appropriate care to patients from diverse backgrounds at every stage of human life.
Classes in our ASN degree include:
- Advanced Medical – Surgical Nursing
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Maternity and Neonatal Nursing
- Microbiology and Pathophysiology for Nurses
- Mental Health Nursing
- Mental – Surgical Nursing
- Human Nutrition
- Pharmacology and Dosage Calculation
- Social Perspectives on Health Care
- Nursing Capstone
In order to graduate from this program, you will need to earn at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in your nursing courses and a 2.0 GPA overall. At the end of your course, you’ll take a comprehensive capstone exam which you must pass in order to receive your degree.
After graduation, you can take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to gain licensure as a registered nurse.
Where You’ll Study
This program is offered at Salem’s main campus in West Virginia. Our on-campus facilities for nurses include high-tech classrooms and simulation skills laboratories. You’ll explore scientific principles in experiments and gain practical hands-on experience for providing patient care.
Please note that clinical rotations for student nurses are very time-intensive. It is very difficult to prepare for an RN while working full-time.
Become a Registered Nurse with Salem
Prepare to become a caring professional—become a nurse. Talk to a Salem International University admissions advisor for more information today!